I don’t follow fashion trends, but this year I couldn’t help noticing that buffalo plaid is the “in” thing. It’s made its appearance at Target, Gap, Eddie Bauer, and everywhere in between! I’ve been so intrigued by this bold, chunky, and rugged plaid pattern, that I decided to feature it in my next Designer’s Sketchbook. To me, buffalo plaid conjures up images of a rustic log cabin in a snowy forest, a cozy blanket, flickering candles, and mugs of hot chocolate. Featured here are all the essential items for the perfect winter retreat, inspired by one crazy pattern – buffalo plaid.
1. Buffalo Check Peacoat – I looked high and low for the perfect representation of buffalo plaid, and I finally found it with American Eagle’s warm and wonderful peacoat. I can just picture slipping into this coat and tromping through the snow to gather more firewood for a cozy evening by the fireplace.
2. Plaid Flannel Pajama Pants – After a long day outside, there is nothing better than a pair of comfy pj’s! This set by Eddie Bauer is pre-washed, brushed for softness, and features adorable satin edging at the pocket and cuffs.
3. Chippewa Chestnut Moccasins – Keep your tooties toasty in these lightweight leather moccasins. They are handmade in Ely, MN (my hometown!) and are available in four colors (Maple, Chocolate, Black, and Chestnut).
4. Log Cabin Retreat – For a memorable winter getaway, escape to a secluded log cabin in the woods. Be sure to rent one with a wood burning fireplace! Ely Lodging is a great place to start your search for a cozy cottage. Of course I’m partial to this small town in northern Minnesota (because I grew up there), but truly, you won’t be disappointed by it’s charm and beauty!
5. Paddywax Cranberry Fig Candle – Nothing is more romantic than an evening chat by candle light. Fill the air with the warm, holiday aromas of cranberry, cassis, and fig. Paddywax candles are high quality, hand poured, and all natural!
6. Longstitch Pocket Journal – A weekend in the woods will inevitably bring about much contemplation. Record your thoughts, goals, and ponderings in this handmade leather journal.
7. Twig Pencil – Need something to record your musings with? Fill the pages of your journal with this adorable and humorous “twig pencil”!
8. Chocolate Mug – Warm your insides with a steaming, hot beverage (for suggestions check out my Top 5 post from last week!). Serve it up in style with this stoneware mug from Crate and Barrel. Perfect for a cup of hot cocoa!
9. Thermos – Fill your mug from this classy and practical stainless steel thermos from Cabela’s. It will keep your coffee, cocoa or cider piping hot, and it even has a great easy-pour lid!
10. Chunky Hand-Knit Throw – Light the candles, and snuggle up with your sweetie under this plush, cable knit blanket. It has all the comfort of your favorite sweater, and is as beautiful as it is cozy!