When I sat down to plan out this post, I paused for a good while attempting to figure out what my favorite color really even is. I have a general color pallet that I love–muted, dusty gray/blue, soft sea green, deep chocolate brown, touches of black, and plenty of neutrals – from stark white to tans and grays. The colors in my home fall within this pallet quite predictably… showing up in natural textures (baskets, wood, stones, shells, sea glass), on the walls, and in textile form. As I looked around, trying to choose one color to feature as my “favorite” for this week’s Lovely in the Country, I realized that I have an abundance of white (and variations of white) in the cottage. I am drawn to it’s clean simplicity, and the stark contrast it provides against a backdrop of color. I love that it never goes out of style or season, and leaves my house feeling bright and fresh. Below are just a few of the items in my home that showcase my favorite color (although, we all know “favorite color” is a relative term for a graphic designer).
(1) Have a Seat | This cream color chair sits just inside our front door, offering guests a place to take off shoes. It is also extra seating in a pinch. This summer I found it at a garage sale for FREE. It’s definitely not in “new” condition, but shabby is sooo chic these days!
(2) Pots Galore | Nearly every plant in my house is nested inside a white pot. This way, they can easily be changed from room to room without any decor clashing. Plus, I love the contrast of the green leaves against the stark white! I’ll grab any white pot on sale at the end of the season… from Home Depot, Target or Ikea.
(3) Natural Neutrals | These cast seashells were a find at Target (clearance for about $5!) several years back. They have traveled with me from apartment to townhome to apartment to house, and never fall out of style or use. The soft white has a subtle pinkish tone, and the texture of the shells is fantastic.
(4) Smart Storage | These canisters were a wedding gift (get your own at Crate and Barrel here), and they never fail to combine function and form. All my flour, sugar, and brown sugar is stored in them, and they look clean and orderly on my kitchen counter.
(5) Dish it Up | Pictured here is a stack of creme brulee dishes, and a couple ramikens (creme brulee dishes are from Crate and Barrel, here). Had I taken a shot of the shelf above or below, you would have seen stacks of white plates, mugs, and bowls. All my dishes are white, and when I made the decision to register for them, I knew that I wanted something timeless (we have the Madison Dinnerware collection, from Crate and Barrel). I love the fact that I can dress the table for any occasion, and my dinnerware always looks in style!
(6) Cool Breeze | This fan was a find at Walmart (of all places!) a few years ago, and it has a permanent place on my dresser. In the summer, it saves us plenty of dough by allowing us to turn the ac down. In the winter, it reminds us of those sunny, warm days. I love the slightly vintage look and the classy, white curved base.
(7) Blooms in White | Orchids are absolutely my favorite flower. At our wedding, I had loads of them… in bouquets, boutonnières, centerpieces, mantle decor, and anywhere else I could think to put them. To me, they look delicate and exotic. Recently my husband surprised me with an orchid for our dining room. What a guy, he even chose one with pure white flowers (which I love, of course)!
(8) Catch All | I found this little bathtub soap dish at Anthropologie a couple years ago and put it to use holding hair-ties and bobby pins. It has just the right mix of whimsy and class, and I love the clean, creamy white lines of the dish and tiny “claw feet”.